Skip to main content

Half-price school or college travel for over 16s

The Scholar's Pass

If you're aged between 16 to 19, you can get half-price travel to school or college on Greater Manchester buses, trains and trams.

Do you qualify?

To get a Scholar's Pass you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Greater Manchester
  • be in full-time education at school or further education college
  • be aged 16 to 18, or 19 until the end of the academic year that your 19th birthday is in
  • live in Greater Manchester (if you're school or college is outside Greater Manchester the pass will take you to the border)
  • not have any other free or concessionary travel permit from TfGM or your local council
  • Not be attending school/college on a day release, block release or as part of their employment

The costs and the benefits

The pass runs from the start of September to the end of the academic year (31st July).

The pass gives you half the adult fare on single trips (not returns) to and from school or college on buses and trams.

On trains in Greater Manchester the pass gives you half the adult fare on anytime and off-peak single and day return trips to and from school or college.

You can only use the pass in term-time, Monday to Friday up to 9pm. You cannot use the pass at weekends or bank holiday, or for any other journeys except to/from college.

Before you get a pass

Other discounted tickets and passes for young people may suit you better – for example if you're a frequent traveller, buying a 7-day or 28-day bus ticket may save you more money.

Apply for a Scholar's Pass

You can apply for a Scholar’s Pass by post, or through a TfGM Travelshop.

Download an application form or get one from a TfGM Travelshop.

Fill in the form and attach:

  • a passport-sized colour photo of yourself, with your school or college's stamp on the back
  • proof of your name and age – a copy (not original) of your birth certificate, adoption certificate, medical card, passport or EU/EEA card
  • a £5 cheque or postal order; you can also pay cash if you're applying at a TfGM Travelshop
  • a stamped self-addressed envelope if you're applying by post

Post everything to the address on the form, or take it into a TfGM Travelshop.

If you apply at a Travelshop, you can usually get the pass immediately, but occasionally they may be busy, in which case you can collect the pass there in five working days.

If you apply by post, your pass should come within two weeks.

Renew your pass

You can apply for a pass for the new academic year from mid-August. Follow the steps in 'Apply for a Scholar's Pass' above.

If you lose your pass

It costs £5 for a replacement pass. Follow the steps in 'Apply for a Scholar's Pass' above.