Skip to main content
Powered by Transport for Greater Manchester

You may qualify for free travel on buses in Greater Manchester and benefit from membership of Our Pass Exclusives. if you're:

  • aged 18-21
  • live in Greater Manchester and
  • were previously in the care system (for example, foster care or residential care),

You will need to apply for a Bee Photocard and pay a £10 administration fee for the card itself.

This is also a smart card that will have a travelcard loaded, giving you free travel on most Greater Manchester buses up to your 21st birthday.

Bee Photocard for care leavers

You will need to apply for a Photo Bee Card.

This is a smart card that will have a travelcard loaded, giving you free travel on most Greater Manchester buses up to your 21st birthday.

Successful applicants can also use their photocard number to join Our Pass exclusives to get:

  • Discounts
  • Special offers
  • Free tickets
  • Career experiences that are only available to Our Pass members.

To qualify:

  1. You must be classed as a relevant, former relevant or qualifying care leaver* under the care of one of the 10 local authorities which make up Greater Manchester Combined Authority.

  2. You must be actively working with your local authority and engaged with their services.

  3. You must be aged 18-21 and live in Greater Manchester.

  4. You must not have a valid Our Pass card.  Our Pass gives the same benefits and you cannot have both. You can apply, as a care leaver, four weeks before your Our Pass card is due to expire.

  • If you don't know which definition applies to you, please check with your social worker or personal adviser.

To get your photocard:

  1. Complete the online application form.

  2. One of our team members will get in touch with you, to request a passport size photo and proof of your address, along with any other details we may need to process your application. (Please check your junk folder for emails from Customer Relations at TfGM.)

  3. You will need to email your photo and documents. See our photocard tips, if you need help with this.

  4. Once everything is approved, we’ll get back in touch and ask for the £10 administration fee for your photocard. You will need a valid payment card and will be asked for the billing address and details from both sides of the card.

  5. Your new Bee Photocard will be posted to you. Your card will be loaded with free bus travel, and lasts until your 21st birthday.

  6. This new photocard will replace any existing get me there card you hold. If you need to transfer any tickets from an existing card, please contact our Customer Service Team on 0161 244 1000.

If you need any help applying, please talk to your personal adviser or call our Customer Service Team.

Using your Bee Photocard

Take your Bee Photocard with you when you travel.

You will need to touch-in at the smart reader at the front of the bus, each time you make a journey.

The driver will be able to see if you have a valid ticket on your card. If you don't have your photocard with you, you will need to pay the full adult fare.

If you're travelling across the Greater Manchester boundary, you'll need to pay the driver for part of your journey. If you're not sure where Greater Manchester starts and finishes you can view the Greater Manchester bus boundary map.

Your card must be presented to the driver or to any bus inspectors when requested.

You don't need to touch-out at the end of your bus journey.

Buying travel tickets

You can buy additional smart travelcards for your Bee Photocard, including for Metrolink travel, by visiting an Information and Ticket office (Travelshop).

If you need a replacement photocard

It is important that you take care of your card as there is a £10 charge for the replacement of a lost, stolen, or damaged Bee Photocard.

To order a replacement pass you should call us on 0161 244 1000 to make a card payment (7am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 8pm at weekends).

You must pay the full fare on buses until your replacement photocard arrives.