Working for us
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) oversees transport and travel across Greater Manchester, home of the UK’s largest regional economy outside London and a diverse population of over 2.7 million people.
This is a really exciting time to join TfGM! Under the Devolution Agreement and with Greater Manchester at the heart of the Northern Powerhouse, transport will play a vital role in supporting the growth and prosperity of the city region.
Our people are key to us achieving success and delivering for our customers, and we offer a wide variety of careers and opportunities across the organisation.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of gender, ethnicity, disability and other protected characteristics. We are particularly keen to encourage applications from women, members of ethnic minority groups and people with disabilities who are currently under-represented within our workforce. Appointment will be based on merit.
We would also consider requests for flexible working positively.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
TfGM has a Vision and Mission statement to underline what we’re constantly striving to achieve.
Our Vision is our overall, long-term goal:
“Driving the growth of a healthy and sustainable Greater Manchester through the
delivery of a reliable, integrated transport network.”
Our Mission summarises what we’re here to do every day:
“Making travel easier in Greater Manchester.”
In delivering our Vision and Mission, we will embody our Values. We are committed to being:
We offer a comprehensive rewards package. In addition to a competitive salary, join our team and you’ll benefit from:
- Free travel on rail or Metrolink between home and work, within the Greater Manchester boundary
- Free bus travel within Greater Manchester
- Annual leave of 27 days plus bank holidays, rising to 31 days based on your length of continuous service
- Contributory pension scheme which all employees are enrolled into
- Opportunity to pay for healthcare cover at preferential rates
- Comprehensive learning and development to support your current role and career aspirations
- Family friendly entitlements, including child care vouchers and flexible working
- Cycle Loan Scheme
- A ‘Thank You Scheme’ to recognise and reward individuals who have gone the extra mile, including awarding high street vouchers to say ‘thank you’!
We take our employees’ health and wellbeing extremely seriously and run a number of different events and awareness campaigns to promote useful advice around a range of health areas that cover both physical and mental health. We also have an Employee Assistance helpline which enables employees to access a range of support, including face-to-face counselling.
Learning and development
Our people are key to helping us to achieve our Vision and Mission, and we’re passionate about their development. The opportunities offered by devolution allows us to take a much bolder and longer-term view of our transport needs and this, along with our focus on providing an excellent customer experience, means it’s crucial that we have talented individuals who want to join and stay with our team.
Wherever you are working within TfGM we’ll have training and learning to suit your needs.
Your development starts before your first day with our Induction eLearning module that is available online. This is supported with lots of other development including mandatory training; training specific to your role; development of your behavioural and values skills; and many more opportunities for your personal development! These are all required for your current role and beyond, which you’ll identify during performance development discussions with your Manager.
We also support our leaders and provide them with the necessary skills, behaviours, knowledge and confidence to effectively lead their teams and get the very best from them.
Equality and Diversity
Our commitment to equality and diversity will help us to meet our objectives to:
- Make public transport the preferred choice for the 2.7 million individuals we serve in Greater Manchester; and
- Ensure that we become an employer of choice with a workforce that is reflective of our diverse communities at all levels of the organisation.
Find out more about our efforts to be recognised as an equality and diversity champion and leader on our equalities and diversity page