Trafford Park Line
A new Metrolink line is on the way
The Trafford Park Line is a new tram line that will run from the existing Pomona Metrolink stop, through Trafford Park, terminating at intu Trafford Centre.
The line will include six new tram stops which will improve connectivity across the area:
- Wharfside: located at the edge of Trafford Park adjacent to Manchester Ship Canal, close to Manchester United Football Club.
- Imperial War Museum North: for the world-renowned museum and access to MediaCityUK via the existing footbridges.
- Village: located on Village Way, near Village Circle and Third Avenue.
- Parkway: located at the existing Parkway Circle roundabout which will include a Metrolink park & ride with spaces for approximately 200 vehicles
- EventCity: located by Barton Square and EventCity.
- Trafford Centre: located at intu Trafford Centre, Barton Dock Road.
*All stop names subject to confirmation
The line will support regeneration and economic growth by improving public transport access to employment, business, retail and leisure opportunities.
Work on the Trafford Park Line extension started winter 2016/2017. It is expected that the works will last approximately four years.
As work on the new Metrolink Trafford Park Line project increases, we want to make sure that we communicate any possible disruptions which may have an impact on people travelling through and within the area.
Building Trafford Park line
Transport for Greater Manchester is working with MPact Thales and WSP to deliver the Trafford Park Line Metrolink extension.
This partnership has already successfully delivered extensions to MediaCityUK, Manchester Airport, Ashton, East Didsbury, Oldham and Rochdale and the Second City Crossing through Manchester city centre.
Work to build a new six-stop Metrolink line to the busy Trafford Park industrial estate and intu Trafford Centre is ramping up in May/June 2017.
The project involves advance major utility diversions, the installation of 5.5km track and associated electrical overhead line infrastructure, construction of the new Metrolink stops and the introduction of new highway arrangements to enable to tram to run segregated to road traffic.
As part of the utility work, along Village Way from Mosley Road up to Park Way we have been laying a new gas pipe which was successfully pressure tested overnight on 16 - 17 September 2017.
The next step for this is to release the gas from the old gas pipe and to start running gas through the new pipe, whilst maintaining a supply. This is planned in three phases. At some point during each phase the gas will be released from the pipe for two hours, the dates of each are:
- Thursday 21st September – Friday 22nd September
- Wednesday 27th September
- Monday 2nd October and Tuesday 3rd October
As the gas main is a private main, there is no risk of any other business's gas supply being affected.
Please be reassured that this process is standard practice and perfectly safe. During the venting process
- It will be noisy due to the pressure of the gas.
- There will be a smell of gas in the area due to the nature of the work.
- During the venting there will be a temporary closure of the footpath opposite Evans Halshaw at the Mosley Road and Village Way junction. The area will be marshalled during the two hours and any pedestrians will be assisted.
To understand how this work may affect you, please visit the latest travel information page.
On Trafford Wharf Road between Warren Bruce Road and Elevator Road overnight works will take place over an 8 hour period between 8pm and 8am. Works will generally be undertaken between Monday and Friday night, however weekend night working may be required.
The Trafford Park Line is due to open by the end of 2020, subject to progress of the works.
Important information for Trafford Park business owners
We are working with our contractor (MPT), and Trafford Council to develop traffic management plans that will minimise the impact of the Metrolink work on road users and ensure access to all the local businesses is maintained.
We would like to understand current access and servicing arrangements, particularly where access/activity is unusual and may not be anticipated. We would encourage business owners to contact us at MetrolinkTPL@tfgm.com.
If you feel you or your business would benefit from a meeting or information event, please contact us at MetrolinkTPL@tfgm.com
Keep up to date with progress
We will update this page with more information as the works progress.
If you have any questions, please contact the Metrolink team on 0161 244 1555 (office hours) or email MetrolinkTPL@tfgm.com