A new Metrolink line is on the way for Trafford
Work on the new Metrolink Trafford Park Line project will increase from this spring and we want to ensure that we are communicating any associated roadworks to everyone who travels to and through the area.
Please forward the website details www.tfgm.com/MetrolinkTPL on to any family, friends, co-workers who you feel would benefit from being kept up to date with the project works, by signing up to receive regular updates here.
The Trafford Park Line Team works closely with Trafford Council, engage with stakeholders along the route and provide regular updates as the works progress.
However, if you feel you or your business would benefit from a meeting or information event, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team.
Thank you in advance for your co-operation.
Work to build a new six-stop Metrolink line to the busy Trafford Park industrial estate and intu Trafford Centre will ramp up this month.
The road closures will be introduced in three phases and will remain in force for approximately three years:
- The first road closure comes into effect on Monday 8 May when Mosley Road will be closed south at its junction with Village Way, which will also include a footway closure on the south side of Village Way
- The second phase will include a closure of Wharf End and Victoria Place, a footway closure of Sir Alex Ferguson Way and a 30mph speed limit on Park Way. This will come into effect on Monday 22 May
- From Monday 19 June, Trafford Wharf Road and Village Way will become one way eastbound. Further closures of adjoining roads will also be necessary at times.
Diversion routes will be clearly signposted and local bus services will be re-routed. Road users are encouraged to allow more time for their journeys. Please see the maps below.
Overnight working on Trafford Wharf Road between and Warren Bruce Road and Elevator Road. Works will take place over an 8 hour period between 20:00 and 08:00. Works will generally be undertaken between Monday and Friday night, however weekend night working may be required.
TfGM will be running a number of public information events in Trafford during the week commencing 8 May 2017, when the project team will be on hand to answer questions and provide further information on these required works.
Details of information events:
- Monday 8 May - Imperial War Museum North, Trafford Wharf Road - 10am – 4pm
- Tuesday 9 May - MediaCityUK, Studio Building, The Open Centre - 10am – 4pm
- Wednesday 10 May - intu Trafford Centre, Lower Peel Avenue - 10am – 10pm
- Thursday 11 May - EventCity, Foyer area - 10am – 4pm
Building the line
Advanced utility and enabling works are now underway. Some local traffic management measures will be required at sites along the route that may also result in isolated lane closures.
As part of the advance works we are clearing trees and vegetation along the route to prepare the land for construction works. The work is now underway and will take place at various locations along the route over the next few months.
Please be assured that there will be an ecological check to all vegetation being cleared and TfGM will be planting trees as part of the landscape strategy for the scheme, in discussion with Trafford Council.
In order to ensure these works are progressed safely and efficiently localised traffic management measures will be in place along the route which may also result in isolated lane closure in areas. We will aim to reduce disruption where possible although road users may wish to allow extra time for their journey. Parking may be affected in certain locations advance notification will be given via notices on lampposts and leaflets on cars.We anticipate that it will take approximately four years to construct this major new line.
TFGM NEWS RELEASE: Metrolink breaks ground as works start on new Trafford Park line
TfGM NEWS RELEASE: Find out more about new Trafford Park Metrolink line
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Trafford Park line?
Why are you building this line?
The Trafford Park area is currently home to over 1,400 businesses and over 35,000 employees. The new line will provide a sustainable alternative to car travel and significantly improve access by public transport to employment opportunities in the industrial estate.
The new line will also connect to popular retail and leisure destinations including the intu Trafford Centre EventCity, Imperial War Museum North, Salford Quays and Old Trafford football ground.
Where will the line run?
Where will Metrolink services stop?
- Wharfside – located at the edge of Trafford Park on the bank of Manchester Ship Canal, close to Manchester United Football Club.
- Imperial War Museum – for the world-renowned museum and access to MediaCityUK via the existing footbridges.
- Village – located on Village Way, near Village Circle and Third Avenue.
- Parkway – located at the existing Parkway Circle roundabout which will include a park & ride of approximately 200 spaces
- EventCity – located by Barton Square and EventCity.
- Trafford Centre – located at intu Trafford Centre, Barton Dock Road.
When are works expected to start and when will they complete?
Works on the Trafford Park Line extension are starting early 2017 and we anticipate that they will last approximately four years.
What are the benefits?
The new Trafford Park line will bring a range of benefits, including:
- Improved access to job opportunities along the line, including major employers at Trafford Park industrial estate, which is currently poorly served by public transport, and the intu Trafford Centre.
- Improved access to major cultural, shopping and leisure opportunities along the route, including the intu Trafford Centre, EventCity, Imperial War Museum North, MediaCityUKSalford Quays and Old Trafford football ground.
- Improving the local environment by offering an alternative to car travel.
- Improved connectivity across Greater Manchester and the wider 93 stop Metrolink network.
- Supporting regeneration and economic growth in the areas it passes through.
- Offering a sustainable public transport alternative to car travel for businesses, employees, local residents and visitors.
- Supports Transport for Greater Manchester 2040 Transport Strategy
Who is building the line?
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) will continue its award-winning collaboration with MPact Thales (MPT) and WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff to deliver the Metrolink extension to intu Trafford Centre via Trafford Park.
MPT is a consortium of VolkerRail, Laing O’Rourke and Thales. VolkerRail and Laing O’Rourke will continue to be responsible for the design and construction of the civil engineering and track, while Thales will deliver the tram operating systems and WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff will continue as TfGM’s Delivery Partner.
This partnership has already successfully delivered extensions to MediaCityUK, Manchester Airport, Ashton, East Didsbury, Oldham and Rochdale and the Second City Crossing.
How can I keep up-to-date with progress?
As part of the preliminary construction and utility works there will be localised traffic management at locations along the route, for example, isolated lane closures.
Further information will be available at www.tfgm.com/MetrolinkTPL as the project progresses. You can also sign up here to stay in the loop with all the latest news, updates and travel advice.
See progress with the new line by following #MetrolinkTPL on Twitter and Facebook or, to speak to someone, call TfGM on 0161 244 1555 (lines open during office hours).