Transport for Greater Manchester (“TfGM”, and references to “we”, “our” and “us” shall be construed accordingly) is committed to protecting and respecting your Privacy.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is: Transport for Greater Manchester of 2 Piccadilly Place, Manchester M1 3BG.
Information we may collect from you
We will only request and collect information which is necessary or reasonable in order to provide you with your requested services and to improve the services that we provide. We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when (without limitation) you register to use our site, subscribe to our service (whether via our site or otherwise), place an order on our site and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include (but is not limited to) your name, address, email address and phone number, financial and credit card information.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site, we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, your logon information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through to and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, lengths of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer services.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this site. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Uses made of the information
TfGM and our service providers may use personal information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- (for our employees) to carry out the processes required by our employment of you. This includes (but is not limited to) application processes, pre-employment checks, management of staff, payroll and pensions, and leavers processes;
- to carry out equality monitoring exercises in respect of employees and service users;
- to carry out research and evaluation work to improve the services we provide
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with information, products and services that you request from us;
- (subject to your explicit consent being given) to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those you have already purchased or enquired about;
- (subject to your express consent being given) to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you;
- to notify you about changes to our services you are a customer of; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- We will only contact you by electronic means (email or SMS) if you have consented to receive marketing information in this way. If you want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure; and
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and to others, and (subject to your express consent being given) to deliver relevant advertising to you.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
The information you provide to us may be accessed (with your express consent where required and without limitation) by our staff, business partners and carefully selected third parties in the course of providing services. These third party service providers may include (but are not limited to) transport operators in Greater Manchester and those that administer and provide ticketing and information services. We may also share information in aggregate with our business partners and service providers, where personally identifiable information is removed, for marketing and strategic development to improve and support our business. TfGM will not share or distribute any of the information you provide to us to unaffiliated third parties without receiving your consent, unless required to do so by Law.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we transfer, sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the buyer of such business or assets,
- If we are required or permitted to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions of sale and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of TfGM, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection or crime prevention and detection,
- Where you have consented for us to share your personal data.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or those of our data processors. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of data via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by not checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise this right at any time, if you have previously given consent, by contacting us at Transport for Greater Manchester, 2 Piccadilly Place, Manchester M1 3BG OR email@example.com
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act, and requires you to request access in writing. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.